Snake Witch – Part 2 – draping the blob into a fairytale gown

After achieving the right shape for the corset mockup, I have aimed at making the smoothest foundation possible, to go underneath the lightweight silk. A few minutes at a time, I sketch, measure and sew. Tiny steps, over and over again. At last it begins to look like a dress.

Efter att uppnått rätt silhuett på korsetttoillen, försöke jag skapa den jämnaste grunden jag kunde, för det tunna sidenet som ska vara ytterst.  Jag har skissat, mätt och sytt några minuter åt gången. Små steg i taget, om och om igen. Till slut börjar det likna en klänning.

Draping and finding out that it will be best to use a bodice and then an attatched skirt

First, I made the bodice part, from a lightweight cotton, that I got from Birgitta. It has a long zipper under the arm. Then I added a skirt, made from a synthetic lining fabric, that I got amongst the most beautiful fabrics from Sollan. In order to get the right  flowy shape, I have added tulle, smother in the front and more gathered in the back.

Creating a bodice pattern from the draped fabric

Först sydde jag klänningslivet av rester från ett tunt bomullstyg som jag fått av Birgitta. Livet har en lång dragkedja under armhålet. Sedan sydde jag fast en underkjol, av tyg som jag fått tillsammans med flera fantastiska tyger från Sollan. För att få till den perfekta flytande/flygande formen, fäste jag sedan tyllbitar nedtill på kjolen – mest rynkade baktill.

Finished bodice with zipper
Petticoat with tulle, to get the right shape

The fashion fabric is a very lightweight dupioni ikat from Khiva (an ancient city along the Silk road), that I got from my mother years ago. Since it doesn’t fit the historical fashions that I use to do, it has just layed in my stash, to be taken out and be started at for some time every year. I was thrilled when I finally found out that it would suit my snake witch!

Klänningstyget är ett tunt ikatmönstrat dupionsiden från Khiva (en uråldrig stad längs sidenvägen), som mamma gav mig för många år sedan. Eftersom sådana tyger inte förekommer under de historiska moden som jag sysslar med, har tyget legat i en låda för att bli framplockat och stirrat på med jämna mellanrum. Jag blev så glad när jag kom på att det skulle passa fint på ormhäxan!

It is 60 cm wide and good 9 m long. I have measured and counted so many times, trying to figure out how to cut the fabric and have something left for the sleeves. Finally I have decided to just finish the dress and see what I can come up with with, using what fabric is left afterwards. Oh, the horror.

Tyget är 60 cm brett och drygt 9 m långt. Jag har mätt och räknat så många gånger, för att lista ut hur tyget ska klippas och ändå få något över till ärmarna. Till slut har jag bestämt mig för att göra klart klänningen först och se om det sedan klura ut hur ärmarna ska se ut, utifrån hur mycket tyg jag har kvar då. Åh, kära hjärtanes.

Draping the blob into a fairytale gown

Now I have started draping. It is great fun! But it is challenging to save the hemline at the right height as I  manipulate the fabric. This will take maaaany hours.

Nu har jag börjat drapera tyget. Det är superkul! Men ddt är knepigt att bevara rätt höjd på kjolfållen medan jag manipulerar tyget. Detta kommer ta mååååånga timmar.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *