These last few months have been crazy. I’ve had my internship at the psychiatric ward, which have been both thrilling and exhausting, as I have been working nights a lot more than I tolerate. At the same time I have been preparing clothes for a recency ball. In a weak moment I decided to even participate in dancing sessions before the ball, in order to fully enjoy the historically authentic ball (for those of you who don’t know me, I am not the dancing type). My dear nieces will accompany us for the dancing lessons and thus, there is need for one more regency dress, for a slender thirteenyearold. The younger niece will wear this dress which will be long enough after having removed the pin tucks. I made the quickest dress ever, with the least amount of material ever, leaving approximately five square centimetres of scraps. This is the result.
Our toddler will join the dancing sessions, off course. So he needs a kirtle. I made one in a few hours by machine. He should have a pair of trousers and a hat too, but there is no time and what does it matter, really?
I have been working on a new pair of breeches for my husband for some years, moments at a time, sewing mostly by hand. Now only the buttons remain. My most time consuming sewing project ever must be his new tail coat. I have used historical methods and made all of the interlining by hand – hundreds of stitches that no one will ever see… 😪 I used the fantastic pattern of Laughing Moon that I bought for the prize money for my win in the 2017 competition of Your Wardrobe Unlocked. I thought that this dashing tail coat needed a nicer shirt and cravat than the other set of clothes, so I made a new shirt with ruffles in the neckline and by the cuffs. Now there is only a new waistcoat left to make the suit complete. And a pair of shoes, stockings, pocket watch, new hair etc… When starting to update the historical wardrobe, there is no end to it, especially as the family expands. 😅
The dance training was featured in the local newspaper, with some nice pictures. Alas, it was all too obvious that I had not made adjustments for the tail coat during the process, for it did not fit as well as I had hoped for.
Tell me if you would be interested in a simple tutorial for any of the clothes.